I knew that porting extensions from one Mozilla-based application to the other should be easy, but I didn’t know it was that easy! Today, I updated my Find In Numbers extension to work in Thunderbird, Songbird and Flock! It was mostly the process of finding the correct XUL file to overlay, find the GUID used for each application, and then editing the install.rdf and chrome.manifest files accordingly.
So, now Find In Numbers 1.4 is available, which, in addition to the above additions, fixes a bug in handling searches in pages with embedded frames. You should go and get it while it’s hot! This new version works in Firefox 2.0.0.x and 3.0.x, Thunderbird 2.0.0.x and 3.0 Alpha 1, Songbird 0.6 and above, and Flock 0.8 to 2.0 experimental versions. You should now be thinking to yourself, why is this not available for SeaMonkey? SeaMonkey does not currently use the Find Toolbar which is used in Firefox, Thunderbird, Songbird and Flock, and porting this code to SeaMonkey would require non-trivial effort.
Oh, and I was very excited to see that Find In Numbers has got some Japanese love. Here’s the English translation of the page for those who can’t read Japanese (like me). Thank you guys! And make sure you post your reviews on AMO as well so that the extension can become public soon!
And because such a post is not complete without screenshots, here are some. In each screenshot, note the number of matches being displayed in the right side of the Find Toolbar.
Find In Numbers, Thunderbird 220.127.116.11
Find In Numbers, Thunderbird 3.0 Alpha 1
Find In Numbers, Songbird 0.6
Find In Numbers, Flock 1.2.1
Find In Numbers, Flock 2.0a1pre, latest nightly build