User name autocomplete in Bugzilla
Atul Varma has built an user name autocomplete tool for Bugzilla. This reminded me that it’s been a long time since I wanted to add this functionality to the Bugzilla Tweaks jetpack. Last week I added this feature, but I didn’t get the time to blog about it!
Here is how it looks on a a sample bug:
It is also smart enough to handle multiple users for fields which accept it.
It works on almost everywhere in Bugzilla where you can enter a user name. Here is the full list for the curious:
- CC field on bug pages (both when viewing and filing a new bug)
- Assignee field on bug pages (both when viewing and filing a new bug)
- Requestee field on attachments (when you request a flag, like review, from someone)
- User name entry fields on the advanced search page
- Add user watch field on the preferences page
This is providing the same functionality of Atul’s tool, with two added benefits: it provides the functionality right where you need it, and doesn’t require you to enter your user name and password.
No more memorizing people’s email addresses! No more asking around for their email addresses! No more bugzilla error pages telling you that the user name you entered doesn’t exist, or couldn’t be matched exactly! I hope you like the idea.
The jetpack lives here. If you have already installed it, you can either rely on Jetpack Prototype’s auto-update feature, or refresh it manually.