I finally got to blog about this: the Persian localization of Firefox 3.5 Beta 4 was released last week among the 70 localizations in that release. This is the second release of the Persian localization team, and the release is currently in Beta. We are hoping to prepare everything for the first official release of Persian Firefox with the release of Firefox 3.5.
You can download this version from the all-beta page. As always, all feedback is appreciated. Please let us know what you think about this release, especially if you encounter any problems while using it.
Link to the Persian version of this post
Posted in Blog
Tagged with: firefox
Until now, localization projects which did not have a Windows code-page assigned to them were out of luck for localizing the installer and updater user interfaces for all Mozilla-based applications. We all know that code-pages are evil; here are the main problems encountered with code-page based localization of these two applications:
- Locales which did not have a code-page available could not localize the installer and updater files.
- The installer and updater applications made for locales which did have a code-page available only worked if Windows was configured to use exactly that code-page, otherwise the users would see garbage text (see for example this screenshot which was taken from the Russian installer on an English version of Windows XP).
These two reasons had caused many locales not localizing the updater and installer applications. And because the installer at least is the first part of the application a user needs to interact with, this was a big problem.
I found out about this when trying to find out why my Persian translations for the Firefox installer cause the build process to break. Soon I found out that there are two bugs filed for Unicode support in the installer and the updater, so I stepped up and worked on them. We are switching to Unicode NSIS, which is a heroic project of Jim Park, to teach Unicode to the NSIS Installer. Thanks to the wonderful help from Robert Strong, we are nearly ready to land the Unicode support for the installer (Unicode support for the updater has landed recently).
I’ve tried to summarize what this means for localizers:
- This will affect Firefox trunk (3.2) and 3.1, Thunderbird 3.0, SeaMonkey 2.0 as well as Sunbird 1.0.
- If you have already translated the installer and updater strings for your locale, there is nothing special for you to do here – you can relax and enjoy the results (which would be that the installer and updater will magically show up correct on all Windows configurations)!
- If you have not yet translated the installer and updater so far, this means that you can get started right now! But please don’t land your translations until bug 305039 lands, otherwise your locale builds will fail until then.
Last but not least, here are some screenshots from the Persian translation of Firefox installer for your viewing pleasure.
The first Persian Firefox builds (built by Tinderbox) are available! These builds, according to Persian Mozilla Dashboard are 86% percent complete. Nearly all parts of the browser are translated. The remaining things to translate include a number of security error messages and UI strings, and the installer (which is in fact translated, I’m just working on bug 305039 to make the installer Unicode, so that we can have a useful Persian installer). These will hopefully be finished soon as well.
Your feedback is very much appreciated. If you are a Persian speaking user, please download these builds and provide feedback here. You can get the builds from these locations:
By the way, as you note, the version of these builds is 3.2a1pre, which means they are preliminary versions of what will eventually be Firefox 3.2 Alpha 1. Firefox 3.1 builds will be available as well as soon as bug 467573 is fixed.
Look what we’re building!
One of the projects that had kept me busy for the past few days was the translation of addons.mozilla.org into Persian. The work is nearly done now, and is available for testing. If you’re an Iranian user or can speak Persian, please take a look around, and let me know if you find any mistakes, or can suggest any imporvements. You can also view the progress of the translation here, and keep an eye on the fixes I make in the translation here.
Here is how the current translation looks like:
As you may notice, there are some problems in the layout of the site in right-to-left more as well. I’ve been reporting them as I notice them, and fixed a few of them myself as well. This will help the Hebrew and Arabic localizations as well.
Last, but not least, I would like to thank Alexandru Szasz for his wonderful work on Narro, which helped me in doing the translation. Narro is a very useful and easy-to-use tool, and Alexandru is quite willing and responsive in fixing any glitches in his code. In fact it’s so easy to use that you can start translating in your own language right now!
OK, I’m excited! I finally got CVS commit access to the l10n CVS repository for Mozilla. As a test, I just checked in my patch on bug 399003! This means that I will be able to work more quickly on the Persian (fa) localization of Firefox. Behnam has also set up a SVN repository on l10n.mozilla.org, so that we can get started on the localization of Firefox 3 sooner! I’ll try to post updates on our progress here, so stay tuned!
Posted in Blog
Tagged with: firefox
Brian King wrote about how he used Translate Toolkit in order to manage the Slovene (sl) locale in Firefox. I found the article worth reading, so I thought I’d share the link.
Posted in Blog
Tagged with: l10n