Tag: mozilla

Blog entries related to the Mozilla project

Quantum Flow Engineering Newsletter #4

As promised (with a day of delay), here is an update on what happened in the last two weeks on making Firefox faster as part of the Quantum Flow project. Last week we had a big work week at the

Posted in Blog Tagged with: , ,

Quantum Flow Engineering Newsletter #3

Another week, another Quantum Flow engineering newsletter!  We have a lot to cover, so let me get started. Michael Layzell is getting really close on his work on bug 1346415 in order to collect native stacks from Background Hang Reports

Posted in Blog Tagged with: , ,

Quantum Flow Engineering Newsletter #2

This past week was another busy week chasing down performance issues in Firefox.  We managed to knock out a few issues, get closer to close out a couple of really high impact ones, and are making good progress on starting

Posted in Blog Tagged with: , ,

Quantum Flow Engineering Newsletter #1

A while ago a number of engineers including myself started to look into a performance project that turned into Quantum Flow.  The focus of the project is finding and prioritising the issues across the entire browser so we will need

Posted in Blog Tagged with: , ,

Project SpiderNode

Some time around 4 weeks ago, a few of us got together to investigate what it would take to implement the Electron API on top of Gecko.  Electron consists of two parts: a Node environment with a few additional Node

Posted in Blog Tagged with: , ,

C++ Static Analysis using Clang

Introduction Large code bases typically develop rules around how various code constructs should be used.  These rules help eliminate bugs resulting from common mistakes.  C++ gives programmers a good amount of power over enforcing such rules using the facilities that

Posted in Blog Tagged with: , , ,

Local Autoland

It has been a while since I’ve asked myself: “Is the tree open?” These days, when I want to land something on mozilla-inound, I switch to my git-workdir[1], I cherry-pick the commit that I want to land, and I type

Posted in Blog Tagged with: ,

Intercepting beacons through service workers

Beacons are a way to send asynchronous pings to a server for the purposes such as logging and analytics.  The API itself doesn’t give you a way to get notified when the ping has been successfully sent, which is intentional

Posted in Blog Tagged with: , ,

Running Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 under Wine on Linux

The Wine project lets you run Windows programs on other operating systems, such as Linux.  I spent some time recently trying to see what it would take to run Visual C++ 2013 Update 4 under Linux using Wine. The first

Posted in Blog Tagged with: ,

Pushing to Mozilla hg servers directly from git

I’ve been using git for a few years for doing Mozilla work, which has caused me to have to go through a painful workflow every single time that I push code to inbound.  Now, glandium has written this awesome tool

Posted in Blog Tagged with: , ,